Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Mediterrean Chicken

This is a great recipe that I make all the time. I modified it from a recipe in the Junior League of Grand Rapids cookbook, "Grand Temptations." The book is available at www.juniorleaguegr.com. I basically just changed a few items like fresh tomatoes and thyme to canned and dried since I have that stuff available in my kitchen at all time and do not have to worry about it spoiling before I can use it. I am always looking for recipes that work with pasta since my kids love plain pasta and I can only eat red sauce so many nights a week.

Serves 4

1 tbsp of olive oil
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/3 cup of balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 15oz can of diced tomatoes drained
1/2 tsp of dried thyme
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
2 to 4 oz of crumbled goat cheese
1 package of pasta of choice

Boil pasta. At the same time heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic powder and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to skillet. Cook about 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through stirring frequently. When chicken is cooked stir in vinegar, tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes. In the last minute add 1 to 2 oz of goat cheese and stir. Put over pasta and sprinkle more goat cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment